Weather is finally warming up …again. Perfect for the BBQ. What is it about the BBQ that makes food taste so good? Flame kissed peppers, garlic and onions. It instantly makes food tastier – it is like it’s more authentic of a flavour. The best of BBQ is you do not need to get fancy…although you can. Simply tossing your fresh cut veg in salt pepper and good olive oil and grilling it just right can be amazing.
If you have the time, a nice marinade also is great. This is my go to marinade. For veggies on the grill. When you cook veggies use med to low heat and/ or indirect heat. My BBQ has a top rack. I use that. It will cook veg nice but not burn it. I love to serve my kabobs with an Israeli couscous. I love the larger pearl texture and chew it provides as a nice contrast. A vegan Feta and olives also add a nice contrast and rounds out this meal.
- 8 cups vegetables including onions, mushrooms, peppers, zucchini, cherry tomatoes
- 1 brick of tofu pressed for 30 min and cubed
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons Dijon style mustard ( shops carry vegan options)
- 2 tablespoons maple or honey (if not vegan)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon basil, parsley & oregano (each)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- If using wooden skewers, soak them in water for at least 30 minutes.
- Wash and chop all veggies into bite sized pieces.
- Combine all marinade ingredients and tofu in a large Ziplock bag. Add in veggies and allow to marinate 4 hours or as long as overnight, turning occasionally. (If you are pressed for time, you can just toss and let sit 15 minutes but longer is better).
- Thread the veggies and tofu onto skewers.
- Preheat grill to medium and grill skewers 10 minutes or until done.