Cashews can take the place of heavy cream in a recipe, it is true. If your avoiding dairy and think Creamy Pastas, soups and parfaits are gone – they can still be on the menu !
Cashew cream – sounds weird to those used to milk or cream. But Soaked cashews when puréed turn into a thick yogurt texture. On its own it is bland mild nutty flavour but it means it is perfect for creating a thick creamy sauce or soup. It also is great alternative for those not liking coconut cream.
Cashew cream can even do double duty as a dip (with a few upgrades) for raw vegetables or chips. It is a great plant based non dairy alternative and is Daniel fast friendly!
For basic, all-purpose cashew cream:
- 1 cup raw, unsalted cashews
- 2 1/2 cups water, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- Soak the cashews: Place the cashews (and date, if using) in a medium bowl and add 2 cups of the water. Set aside uncovered at room temperature for up to 10 to 12 hours. ( overnight is best for smoothest texture) The cashews are ready when they break apart when pressed between two fingers.
- Drain and add fresh water: Drain the soaking water from the cashews. Add the drained cashews remaining 1/2 cup water, and salt to a blender.
- Blend into cream: Blend on high speed until completely smooth, about 3 minutes. Stop scrape down the sides of the blender and process again for 1 minute.
- Store or use: Use immediately or transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 1 week.