Who said vegan has to be boring rabbit food? Just because your choosing to eat plant based does not mean you need to suffer your meals. God want you to enjoy your food “Go, eat your food with gladness…God approves of this.” Ecclesiastes 9:7
One of the many reasons people struggle with plant based is the lack of treats… the little luxuries that people love. Ice cream is one of those luxuries. My husband is a huge ice cream junkie, but struggles with dairy. It’s a love hate relationship.
Now that I have a ice cream maker attachment for my kitchen aid we can make non dairy ice creams or nice creams when we feel like it. Does it require an attachment or machine – Nope – but it does saves time but like all amazing things you can do it by hand and I included Instructions below on how.
Strawberry “nice” cream
- 1 cup unsweetened soy milk or almond milk*
- 1 cup canned full-fat coconut milk
- 1/4 cup date purée **
- 3 cups frozen strawberries
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or seeds of 1 vanilla bean
- Combine the dairy-free milk, coconut milk, dates or maple syrup, strawberries, vanilla extract or vanilla seeds, and beet juice powder in the base of a high-speed blender.
- Process the ingredients for about 30 seconds, or until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into the base of an ice cream maker ** see non machine directions below ** freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Ideally, you would freeze the ice cream an additional 1-2 hours in air tight sealed container after it’s done in the ice cream maker so it gets really firm. Then, about 15 minutes before serving, take it out of the freezer so it is then scoopable.
*If you want to make make this recipe even richer, just leave out the soy or almond milk and increase the coconut milk to 2 cups.
** to make date purée cook 1 cup dates + 1/2 water until thick paste – may need more water
No churn method- hand method
Pour smooth blender mixture into a 8- 10 inch metal pan, place in freezer for approx 90 min then whisk to break up ice chunks
Return to freezer and whisking after 45 min. scrap off all the ice bits along edges and break up large chunks. return to freezer and repeat the process 2 more times.
It will take approx 3-4 hours for soft serve consistency.