My husband has an annual tradition of “trying” to make parsnip fries. It’s now about
3 years 4 years running. I have my husbands permission to tell you all how it goes down…
What happens is this. Our pastor calls a Fast at the start of the new year. The fast is essentially a vegan centred diet. Every year, my dear husband picks up two things, almond butter and parsnips. Saying “I want to make my parsnip fries.” It is the same EVERY YEAR. Now I gently remind him that “Hunny, it didn’t go so well last time.” He confidently responds “It will this time.”, I am sure this is a lesson in faith some how…
On the fateful day, I steer clear of the kitchen as this is HIS project. He pulls out the recipe from a no sugar cook book we own, gazes at the scribbles he has already altered in the margins from his last attempt and begins. He peels and slices parsnips and gently coats the fries. Gingerly he lays the on parchment and bakes them.
A nutty aromatic scent fills the kitchen…then I hear almost on que “Not again…”
My son came in after his hard work is pulled from the oven…and said very sweety “well dad, they are better then last year… your getting better.” Which actually is the truth… so that is how burnt fries became a comedic fasting tradition.
I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.Thomas Edison.
Well, I am sure one day he will perfect those fries and they will be delicious…until that day – Thankfully there is dessert. Pudding banana pudding is perfect dessert to impress friends or just as a sweet treat. Best of all it’s natural no sugar added.
Creamy Vegan No Sugar Banana Pudding.
- 2 cups cashews – soaked in water overnight.
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 frozen bananas
- 2 regular bananas
- 4 Medjool dates (or 3 tbs of date purée)
- ¾ cup almond milk (185ml)
- Toppings: raspberries, flax, chopped almonds (optional)
- soak the cashews overnight drain and blend with 1/2 c fresh water
- Place all the ingredients in a food processor (or a blender) and blend until smooth. Chill for at least 2 hours.
- Before serving, top with your favorite toppings (I added fresh raspberries and chopped nuts).