Thursday’s are my “no cook” night. We usually have a take out pizza. kids love the tradition. This past Thursday, we had nachos and dip. Introducing Skillet Nacho Dip.
This skillet nacho dip is perfect for those who want to whip up a fast kid friendly meal. It is loaded with Mexican flavours bean, corn, chilies. Trust me with growing boys it did not take long to devour the entire pan. Not only is it super easy, it can be made ahead, stored in fridge and and popped in oven when you want to chow down. This is also a great pantry meal using up the last of the home canned jars of tomatoes and corn, making room in the pantry making room for this years seasonal produce.
I asked my crew – So is it an eat again meal? – YES! Was the unanimous answer. This recipe comes from The Kitchn. Their original recipe uses only 2 oz of cream cheese. I am a sucker for creamy foods so I doubled it. Feel free to use their original 2 Oz. But if your adding cream cheese anyway why skimp?
- 4 oz – 1/2 cup cream cheese
- 1 1/2 teaspoons taco seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 ounces shredded Mexican-blend cheese (1 1/2 cups), divided
- 1 15oz can/ pint black beans
- 1 15 oz can/pint corn kernels
- 1 15 oz can/ pint diced tomatoes
- 1 4 oz can or 1/4 pint chopped green chiles
- Topping options: diced tomatoes, diced avocado, sour cream, fresh or pickled jalapeños, fresh cilantro leaves
- Tortilla chips, for serving
- Arrange a rack in the upper third of the oven and heat the oven to 350°F.
- Place cream cheese in a large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on HIGH until very soft, about 30 seconds. Add taco seasoning, dried oregano, kosher salt, and 2 ounces of the shredded Mexican-blend cheese (1/2 cup), and stir to combine.
- Drain and rinse black beans and transfer to the bowl with cream cheese mixture. Drain corn and diced tomatoes and add to the bowl. Add chopped green chiles, and stir to combine.
- Transfer the dip into a medium cast-iron skillet or 8×8-inch broiler-safe baking dish and spread into an even layer. Sprinkle with the remaining 4 ounces shredded cheese (1 cup).
- Bake until heated through and the cheese is melted, 20 to 30 minutes. Top with desired toppings and serve with tortilla chips or baked pita wedges.