With climatologists warning that this summer could be hottest on record, we are finding inventive ways to cool off. Popsicles or lollies are a simple way to do that.
Conventional store bought lollies are nothing more then corn syrups, food colouring and artificial flavours.
We are a smoothie crew. With some who desperately need the extra proteins in the morning to help regulate emotions – smoothies make easing into waking up a bit more bearable. Best of all they freeze beautifully in popsicle mold.
I purchased one like this one. I like the wooden sticks because I have had too many plastic handles break apart rendering the mold useless. It arrived overnight.
Green smoothie protein pops – Orig found on myVega.ca
- 1 cup fresh pineapple
- 1 whole banana
- 1 large handful kale
- 1 large handful spinach
- 1/2 a serving Vanilla protein powder ( I use Vega greens)
- 1 cup coconut water
- Add all ingredients to high-speed blender and blend until very smooth.
- Pour into ice pop molds and freeze, for at least 3 hours or overnight.
Strawberries & Cream popsicles – orig found on aheadofthyme.com
- 2 cups strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1 and 1/2 cups Greek yogurt or a plain unsweetened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup diced strawberries
- Optional : 4 tbs maple syrup
- Puree sliced strawberries in a blender and add 2 tablespoons of maple if using. Blend until combined. Set aside
- In a large bowl, combine Greek yogurt, remaining maple, and vanilla extract. Mix until combined. Stir in the diced strawberries.
- Scoop two tablespoons of strawberry puree mixture into each popsicle mold. Scoop two tablespoons of Greek yogurt mixture into each popsicle mold. Repeat until popsicle molds are evenly filled to the top.
- Place molds in the freezer and freeze until set, at least 8 hours or overnight (recommended).
- Once popsicles are ready, run the mold under warm water for about 20 seconds to help loosen the popsicles and serve!
Peach Mango pops – orig. found on purelykatie.com
- 1 – 11.3 fl oz peach or mango nectar
- 3 fresh ripened peaches, sliced and the pits removed
- 1 cup frozen mango chunks
- freshly squeezed lime juice from 1 lime
- 3 tablespoons honey – optional
- Combine all ingredients into a large high speed blender and pulse until smooth.
- Pour popsicle mixture into popsicle mold.
- Freeze overnight.
- To release the popsicles from the mold, run the mold under hot water until you can pull on the popsicle sticks and the popsicles release.